Option 1: Providing Health Services in a Rural Community: A Presentation on Project Feasibility
Providing healthcare services to residents in rural areas has presented increased challenges that include access and cost. For your Capstone Project, you will be using a case study that focuses on Pocahontas Memorial Hospital located in Pocahontas County, West Virginia. For case study details, see the below description of the hospital.
Pocahontas Memorial Hospital (PMH) would like to offer a comprehensive satellite health clinic within Pocahontas County. You have been contracted to make presentation for the PMH Board of Directors to guide them in determining the feasibility of opening a satellite clinic as part of a strategic initiative for their annual strategic management planning process. Present your feasibility report as PowerPoint slides with added presentation notes to support the content on the slides or other presentation/graphic format. Supporting narrative content with associated citations is required for the diagrams.
Your presentation should be organized according to the following structure and contain the elements described:
- Introduction: This is where you introduce your audience to what this report will cover.Description of PMH and potential project
- Discussion of whether the organization’s mission, vision and goals support the project
- Assessment: This is your evaluation of various factors that affect the feasibility and development of the project.Internal and external stakeholders involved and their buy-in for this project
- Internal and external environmental challenges (e.g., access for consumers, medical equipment, technology, community involvement required)
- A market analysis
- A SWOT analysis
- Recommendations and Implementation: This is where you detail your recommendations and strategies for implementation. Your recommendations should be based directly on what you outlined in your assessment.Strategies for attracting healthcare professionals and staff
- Feasibility for development satellite clinic
- Value-adding support and resources (e.g., equipment, technology, etc.)
- Develop strategic initiatives
- Short and long terms plans for implementation of strategic initiatives
- Brief discussion of how you will evaluate and benchmark this project.
- Conclusion: This brief summary should pull together your assessment and recommendations and leave the audience with a clear sense of what can be done.
Your well-written presentation should meet the following requirements:
- Be 12-15 slides in length, not including the cover or reference slides or appendices
- Be formatted for a formal presentation including headings per slide, major points per slide, and presentation notes or embedded audio to supplement each slide provided as if you were doing the actual presentation.
- Include the strategic thinking maps and content your created for the earlier module assignments. They may be added in addition to / or as a part of the 12-15 slides of content or moved to the Appendix section
- Be formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements
- Provide support for your statements with full APA in-text citations from a minimum of ten (10) scholarly references – five of these references must be from outside sources and five may be from course readings, lectures, and textbooks. The CSU-Global Library is a good place to find these references.
- Include full market analysis and SWOT analysis diagrams in the Appendix of the slideshow, but present your narrative discussion of each in the Assessment section of your presentation
- Be submitted as a PowerPoint file; do not submit presentation as a pdf file
- Include presentation notes for each slide to support the slide content. These may be a part of the PowerPoint or in a separate Word document.
- If you choose to include a link to a presentation of the slideshow (optional), provide that link in the presentation notes.
HCM580 – Strategic Management in Healthcare
Capstone Project Case Study Information
The circumstances in Pocahontas County resonate in many rural communities across the country:
· A depressed local economy
· Substantial barriers to health access
· Difficulty in attracting health professionals.
Portrait of Pocahontas County
Pocahontas County is located in the southeast region of West Virginia. The county has a total of 942 square miles and is the site of the head waters for eight rivers: Cherry River, Cranberry River, Elk River, Ganley River, Greenbriar River, Tygart Valley River, Williams River, and Shaver Fork of the Cheat River. Pocahontas County consists of the following towns: Arborale, Bartow, Buckeye, Cass, Dunmore, Durbin, Greenbank, Hillsboro, Marlington, and Slatyfork.
As of the 2010 Census there are 9,131 people residing in Pocahontas County. The racial makeup is 98% Caucasian, .78% African American, .43% Hispanic, .14% Asian, and .07% Native American. The median income for a household within the county is $26,401.
Access to Health Services
Pocahontas County has a shortage of healthcare providers. There is one hospital, Pocahontas Memorial Hospital, and one nursing home, Pocahontas Center. The ratio for dentists is 8,851 to 1. The ratio for primary care physicians is 8508 to 1 (County Health Roadmaps & Rankings, n.d.). The county’s physician-to-population ratio is significantly higher than the Unites States overall ratio.
Pocahontas Memorial Hospital is a 25-bed, level-4 trauma center. A rural health clinic is located within the hospital. The health clinic offers laboratory services, immunizations, disease management, and monthly specialty clinics (cardiology, podiatry, and nephrology).
For more information about Pocahontas Memorial Hospital, visit the following website:
County Health Roadmaps & Rankings. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/sites/default/files/state/downloads/2012%20County%20Health%20Ranking%20West%20Virginia%20Data%20-%20v2.xls