Strategic Alliances and Human Resource Management
LGE is one of the leading global companies in the industry. It is composed of five divisions: air conditioning, business solutions, home appliances, home entertainment, and mobile communication. LGE has 114 subsidiaries worldwide and employs around 82,000 people. LGE is a South Korean company and as such has some unique characteristics derived from the South Korean culture and economic structure.
In this assignment, you will read several peer-reviewed articles.
· First, read three peer-reviewed articles related to the South Korean economy, chaebols, and culture.
· Then, search for at least one peer-reviewed article related to the strategic alliances.
· Next, read at least one article on human resource strategies for Multinational Corporations (MNCs).
· In addition, read a few articles related to the local and global operations of LGE.
Then, respond to the following:
1. Explain the organization and purpose of chaebols.
2. Identify the positive and negative characteristics of chaebols for both local and global economy. Also, explain the role they play in the South Korean economy.
3. Identify the characteristics of LGE’s human resources strategy.
4. Identify how this HR strategy is helping the company to deal with the diversity.
5. LGE has established a number of strategic alliances with partners from all over the world. Select one of these alliances and analyze and evaluate its outcome.
Write a six-to-seven-page paper in Word format. Utilize at least five to six scholarly sources in your research. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Emerging Economies and Globalization
Markets in developed economies are approaching saturation level. Therefore, MNCs are searching for new untapped markets in emerging countries such as India and China. Since the healthcare industry will continue to grow in the future due to the size of the global population and its age composition, General Electric Healthcare (GEH) is trying to capitalize on these trends. It is expanding its operations and development of new drugs and manufacturing of the medical equipment in India and China.
Read the following articles:
· At least one peer-reviewed article related to the trade theories in general as well as for China and India
· Articles related to the human resource management for MNCs, cross-cultural management, expatriate training, and expatriates’ success/failure in overseas assignments
· Articles related to GEH
Then, respond to the following:
1. Select two trade theories that best explain why GEH expanded its operations of developing new drugs to India, and manufacturing X-ray business to China.
2. Explain the selected theories, and then evaluate GEH’s reasoning.
3. Explain possible pitfalls for such strategy from GEH’s perspective.
4. Identify solutions to the possible pitfalls for the strategy.
5. For each operation (India and China), evaluate GEH’s human resource strategy.
6. Identify how you would design training for preparing expatriates for their assignments to India and China if you were in charge of their training prior to the overseas assignment.
Write a 7-page paper in Word format. Utilize at least five to seven scholarly sources in your research. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.