Human resource managers must constantly evaluate whether their hiring practices are consistent with current trends and expectations of the positions to be filled. Many agencies work from generalist practices, but the first-response community is unique in its approach to evaluating potential candidates for hire.
- For this assignment, students will create a series of questions in a short questionnaire (5–10 items) to ask at least 3 first-response agencies about their hiring processes.
- Agencies may be local fire departments, law enforcement, nongovernmental agencies, or federal departments, but they may not all be of the same discipline (e.g., all fire or all police).
- Students must organize their questions around prerequisites for application, hiring policies, and testing mechanisms as discussed in Phase 1.
- Representatives from the selected agencies may be interviewed in person, via e-mail, or on the phone.
- Organize your questions, agency responses, and agency contact information into a final assignment Word document.
- What are the similarities among the agencies interviewed? Explain.
- Students may build on this questionnaire throughout the course and have an opportunity to incorporate it into their final project.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.