Assignment 2: Observing and Evaluating Teaching Practices
worth 210 points
In this assignment you will observe, document, and evaluate two (2) instructional sessions associated with adult learners. Using the Teaching Observation Form, located below, you will rate each instructor’s performance from one (1) to five (5) on each of the evaluative criterion on the form, with one (1) being the lowest and five (5) being the highest. You will also include a rationale or comment for each rating. Note: If you do not observe an evaluative criterion, do not rate the criterion and mark an N/A in the rationale / comment block.
Select one (1) recorded instructional session from List A and one (1) session from List B to observe and evaluate:
List A Videos are as follows
· Scaffolding as a Teaching Strategy (6 min. 31 s), located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6a9Q_37t4
· Sample Demonstration Lesson – Part 1 (10 min), located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ecMHI3Iuk
· Interactive Teaching (8 min 22 s), located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wont2v_LZ1E
List B Videos are as follows
· Safety Demonstrations (3 min 42 s), located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFywADBuCVE
· Teaching with style, Mechanical Energy Conservation (3 min 35 s), located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIOylZMg6Q
· Whole Brain Teaching: The Basics (7 min 37 s), located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeWEgvGm2Y
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you address the following items for each observation separately.
1. Provide the title of each instructional session, and summarize the content of each of the instructional sessions.
2. Critique the overall effectiveness of each instructional session. Use your observation and evaluation notes from the “Teaching Observation Form” to provide a rationale for your critique.
3. Assess the instructional strengths of each session. Provide a rationale for your assessment using examples from your observation.
4. Assess the areas for improvement of each session. Provide a rationale for your assessment using examples from your observation.
5. Compare and contrast the strengths and areas for improvement for the two (2) sessions observed.
6. Based on your current or preferred career, specify two (2) concepts you can apply from this assignment.
7. Assess your lessons learned from using the “Teaching Observation Form”. Suggest at least one (1) improvement in the form.
8. Include the completed “Teaching Observation Forms” as an Appendix to your paper.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references (if applicable) must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page (if applicable) are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Analyze selected theories and practices of teaching adult learners.
· Write clearly and concisely about adult education, training, and lifelong learning using proper writing mechanics.
Use technology and information resources to research issues in adult education, training, and lifelong learning.\Assignment 2: Teaching Observation Form
Title of Observed Session: